Whiteoak merlot 2009 bottle
  • Thumbnail whiteoak merlot 2009 bottle
  • Thumbnail whiteoak merlot 2009 label
  • Thumbnail whiteoak merlot 2009 bottle
  • White oak winery photo thumbnail

2009 Merlot

Club Price

Learn More or

( 6 )

Appellation: Napa Valley

By: White Oak Vineyards & Winery

In: Healdsburg, CA

750mL / 14.2% ABV

Winestyr Review

This is a great Merlot from White Oak in Napa, and is another reminder why people who hate on Merlot are flat out wrong. This wine smells and tastes older than it is, and actually reminds us more of a wine from Bordeaux than Napa. This wine is drinking beautifully right now. Aged 18 months in 50% new Bordeaux style French and Hungarian oak barrels.

What We Love

  • Reminiscent of right bank Bordeaux
  • Napa fruit
  • Notes of cedar, spicebox, and tobacco

Buy this wine if you want a sophisticated red to drink during the colder months of the year


White Oak Vineyards & Winery owns roughly 750 acres of vineyards across Napa Valley, Alexander Valley, and the Russian River Valley. They only keep about 10% of their fruit to make their own wine and their wines are sophisticated, refined, and polished. The other 90% of White Oak's fruit is sold to some other prestigious producers. Their tasting room and winery, located on the outskirts of Healdsburg in Sonoma County, is a spectacular place.


Located in the heart of the Alexander Valley, White Oak Vineyards & Winery is dedicated to producing small quantities of distinguished wines from 750 acres of estate vineyards. Roughly 10% of this fruit is used in White Oak wines with the balance being sold to other well known wineries. Their Russian River Valley vineyards produce Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, while the Napa Valley vineyards produce Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah. From the vineyards around the tasting room in Alexander Valley, White Oak produces a small bottling of their legendary old vine Zinfandel and two Reserve Bordeaux style blends which are only sold in the tasting room.

More from this winery

Where are the ratings?

Are the wines any good? Yes, they are and we taste every wine that is considered for our site. We seek out the best wines from the best small-producers in the U.S. and Winestyr is a collection of our favorites. Most of the wines have impressive accolades, however, don't look for "expert" ratings here - we think it's more important to buy wines you find interesting and to decide for yourself. Need some specific recommendations? Chat us in the lower right box or send our lead curator an email at bob@winestyr.com.

Customer Reviews

No reviews yet